Friday, October 24, 2014

Salt & Pepper

"Salt & Pepper"



I spotted a salt shaker half full of salt.
It was on the tile's floor near a door.
In my town's local cafe.
What was it doing there?
Did it want me to pick it up and throw it over my shoulder for good luck?
There are different sizes and shapes of salt and pepper shakers.
With different amounts of salt and pepper in each, according to their importance.
Some pawns, rooks, kings, queens, and other chess pieces, too.
The tiles in formation of a giant chess board.
Some of them have pepper shakers and others have salt shakers on each squared tile.
A few pieces just knocked down, to the side.
A game of chess for me to play while the cafe is empty?
By whose authority?
The coffees, teas, and bagels?
Is this a Fort Knox with bagels, cream cheese, and lox?
No, it's not.
But it's a lot to think of a seemingly innocent cafe.
Or as a forum for a worldly game!!!iii!i!i!i...
Have I gone mad?
A refugee fleeing his country, on a boat in the middle of the ocean for days on end.
Without food or water.
Could I be having nightmares?
I can only pray not to be part of that unfortunate lot.
Again I think the world is toying with my mind.
In something it forgot and left behind.
This charade never seems to end.
Where only the downtrodden will suffer.
As lost as you may find yourself.
The world will keep spinning on its own axis.
Try a new beat.
Until the heat freezes over.
And the universe begins to weep.
When it awakens from its loud sounding sleep.




By Jonathan Billet 10.27.2014        

No comments:

Post a Comment